In this video, I show you how to naturally clean your dishwasher using ingredients you probably already have in your home right now.
How many of us even think about cleaning our dishwasher? After all, it cleans the dishes and uses soap, right? Why would I need to clean my dishwasher? Read on to find out why this is important to do periodically.
Yes, it is the job of your dishwasher to clean. But if you look at the bottom of the dishwasher there is a drain, and probably a filter, that can get gunked up with food and grease.
It’s also possible if you live in an area with hard water that calcium and lime buildup can occur in the spray jets, blocking the water from coming out of them.
The process to naturally clean your dishwasher is straightforward. Remove the bottom rack and any dishes currently in the dishwasher. You want to do this process with the dishwasher completely empty.
- Place 1 Cup of distilled white vinegar in a container without a covering in the top rack of the dishwasher. I used a glass measuring cup that fit a spot in the rack so that it wouldn’t spill.
- Next, run the dishwasher on a long hot water cycle.
- After the hot water cycle completes you need to remove any food or other things that are at the bottom of the dishwasher around the drain.
- If the dishwasher has a removable filter this is the time to remove it and wipe off the loosened grease accumulation that might be there.
- Next, sprinkle a light coat of baking soda on the bottom of the dishwasher.
- Run the dishwasher on a short hot water cycle to freshen it up using the baking soda.
Now your dishwasher should be clean and fresh.