Bergamot Essential Oil– Citrus aurantium subsps. bergamia is sourced from Italy. The fruit is a cross between bitter orange and lemon. The fruit and the essential oil are usually of a slightly green color.
The essential oil is produced by cold pressing of the skin of the fruit. Bergamot oil has a citrus smell with floral overtones.
Bergamot is used in perfumes and as a food flavoring. The oil is what gives Earl Grey Tea it’s unique flavor (source).
Uses In Aromatherapy
The chemical composition of this oil includes alpha-pinene, alpha bergapten, alpha-terpineol, limonene, linalool, linalyl acetate, nerol, neryl acetate, beta bisabolene, geraniol, geraniol acetate, and myrcene (source).
The chemicals contained in Bergamot essential oil have the following characteristics and benefits:
- Can help relieve depression- Two of the components in Bergamot oil, a-pinene and limonene have been studied for their ability to help elevate the mood and decrease feelings of depression. These are also found in the other citrus essential oils, which explains why they are used to help lift the mood in aromatherapy.
- Antimicrobial- It’s antimicrobial properties are well known and that is why it is used in many soaps commercially.
- Helps with digestion and may lower blood sugar levels- This essential oil stimulates the secretion of hormones in your body, including digestive juices and bile. It also helps increase metabolism and the burning of sugars for energy, thereby helping to decrease the blood sugar level.
- Pain reducer- It’s pain-fighting properties come from the stimulation of hormones that decrease the sensitivity of nerve endings to pain. It is useful for pain relief from headaches, muscle aches, sprains, and other causes of pain.
- Useful for relaxation- Bergamot oil can stimulate the excretion of dopamine and serotonin which can help with anxiety, stress, and other nervousness.
- Relieves congestion- Since Bergamot essential oil blends well with Eucalyptus it doubles the effectiveness when combined together to relieve congestion. Use in a diffuser to relieve the congestion of upper respiratory symptoms. Combined with its antimicrobial properties it is wonderful at helping you fight a cold.
- Fever reducer- Bergamot is also known as a febrifuge. A febrifuge is a substance that helps to reduce fever and lower body temperature. This oil does this in two ways. Since it has antimicrobial properties it can help the body kill the germs causing the infection which is resulting in the fever. Second, it promotes the production of hormones within the body which result in sweating and the excretion of toxins through the sweat. This is another of the properties which make it useful for fighting colds and flu.
- Useful for skincare- Bergamot essential oil is used in many skincare products. It helps relieve acne and reduces the appearance of scars on the skin, including stretch marks from pregnancy. It helps with the distribution of melanin so it gives you an even skin tone. (Note- Most citrus essential oils are phototoxic when used on the skin. This formulation of Bergamot essential oil is furocoumarin free. This is one of only a few essential oils that is slightly altered prior to use in aromatherapy. However, the removal of the furocoumarin prevents the severe sunburn that could occur if used prior to exposure to the sun. You should be careful with using other citrus essential oils on the skin within 24 hours of sun exposure for this reason.)
- Deodorant- Bergamot essential oil can be used both in deodorants for the body as well as the air. Its fresh citrus smell is great for use in homemade deodorants and its antimicrobial properties help to kill odor-causing bacteria on the body. It can also be mixed with water in a spray bottle to create a natural air freshener for use in the home. Of course, you can get the same effect from using it in a diffuser in the home or office.
As you can see, Bergamot essential oil is a very useful oil for many things. It’s one of the most useful essential oils you’ve probably never heard of.
You can purchase Bergamot essential oil in our store. We offer only 100% pure and unadulterated oils from the finest suppliers from around the world.